The New Kydonia is a family-run complex of apartments and villas near the historical Venetian port of Chania (Hania) in Western Crete. Situated on the hillside above Daratsos against a backdrop of the majestic White Mountains, the New Kydonia has magnificent, panoramic views of Chania and Chania Bay.
Whether you prefer your holiday to be an action-packed Cretan voyage of discovery or you would simply like to relax lazily by the pool, a stay at the New Kydonia apartments and villas will help to make yours a trip to remember forever.
* The magnificent swimming pool has an enclosed children's pool and the large sun terrace with sunbeds and umbrellas has spectacular views over Chania and Chania Bay. Pool towels are provided and there is a shady, grassed play area for kids where they can enjoy games such as ping pong and table football. A wide selection of books is available in our library as well as a range of DVDs, maps, local information books and guide books.
* The lovely terrace restaurant/bar is open throught the day and evening, the hotel takes great pride in the standard of cooking and use high quality, fresh, local produce, homegrown extra virgin olive oil and a variety of herbs picked freshly from our own garden. The hotel always offers a range of traditional Greek and local Cretan dishes as well as international cuisine. Vegetarian dishes and kids menus are always available, guests with special dietary requirements can easily be catered for.
* Special themed evenings such as the Cretan BBQ Night are always popular social and culinary experiences.
* When you first arrive at the New Kydonia, it's hard to believe that there are 23 apartments on the complex. Low modern-style buildings are discreetly set amongst lush gardens and green lawns. Each apartment has its own balcony, each with its own unique view - ocean/town, mountains or gardens.
* The New Kydonia apartments are all comfortably furnished, spacious, modern and superbly appointed; all are equipped to a high standard which includes air conditioning, safety deposit box, hair dryer, iron, satellite TV and DVD player. A fully equipped kitchen includes oven, microwave oven, fridge-freezer, toaster, etc.
* One bedroomed apartments have a lounge/dining area and kitchen, bathroom with bath/shower and a private balcony with views of either the mountains, the gardens or the ocean and Chania. The separate bedroom has twin single beds and, with two lounge beds, up to 4 adults can be comfortably accommodated. Two bedroomed apartments have one double bedroom and one bedroom with twin single beds, two bathrooms, a lounge/dining area and kitchen, and a private balcony with views of either the mountains, the gardens or the ocean and Chania.
* Attractive studio accommodation for two people comprises one large sleeping and breakfast/kitchen area, bathroom and private balcony. Studios are air conditioned and are well equipped with TV, DVD, etc.
Without doubt, Chania's most outstanding feature is the Venetian Harbour; surrounded by shops, cafes, restaurants and tavernas, it has to be one of Crete's most memorable images, even more enchanting at sunset and in the evenings when it is at its most bustling and lively. Venetian lighthouse and palaces, Ottoman mosques and minarets, stone built shipping arsenals and other such historic buildings are today housing museums, art galleries, local handicraft shops and quaint restaurants, etc.
Nearby Agia Lake is a haven for nature lovers offering brilliant blue kingfishers dart between bamboo flanked banks. You may be lucky enough to glimpse a rare Ruppell's warbler. Marsh harriers are a common sight.
Akrotiri is the peninsular to the east of Chania and boasts spectacular views of Chania, the Gulf of Chania and Souda Bay Three orthodox monasteries, caves once inhabited by Christian hermits and the British War Cemetery for British and Commonwealth soldiers killed in Crete during the second world war, make this an important destination on the itinerary of history lovers.
The Samaria Gorge (Faragi Samarias) offers hardy hikers the chance to experience this unique piece of Cretan countryside as it approaches the Libyan Sea. With the imposing rock wall of Mount Gingilos towering to your right, the 18km descent takes you past the chapel of Agios Nikolaos, the church of Ossia Maria and the Sideroportes (iron gates) before the gorge opens up as it approaches the sea.
The beaches of Western Crete are some of the finest on the island: Stavros on the Akrotiri peninsular; Paleochora on the south coast; Falassarna on the west coast; Elafonissi on the south west tip with its fabulous coral-pink sand.
Limnoupolis Water Park covers a huge area and has something for everyone in the family, young and old. At the nearby Pista track you can experience a variety of different exciting rides including go karts, mini moto, ATV and moto cross.